Sunday, August 2, 2009

watching paint peel.........

Spending the day at Brooklyn Machine Works again, this time to strip paint off a gas tank. Plans are to clear (powder) coat the raw looking tank, which will truly go with my "industrial" theme of the Monster.

Terry gave me a perfectly good gloss black Monster tank, which he originally got from the moto shop. A few years ago a customer brought a Monster in with a little cosmetic damage and it was "totaled" by the customer's insurance company. Terry ended up with the tank.

I'm using Rock Miracle to strip the paint off the gas tank.

Here's what the gas tank looked like.

Terry had sealed water bottle bosses welded into my gas tank for me so I can mount some old Ducati 250 winged badges.

watching the paint peel... note this is NOT time lapsed! This is how quick this shit works!


This is what the tank looked like after a few applications of Rock Miracle, then rinsed off.



and here's a preview of what's to come.



next step is to clean up and re-finish the surface, then clear powder coat.

Aug 3, 2009

Started cleaning up the tank with a steel wire wheel attached to a drill.





still have some paint chips left to clean up completely, then I'll work to finish the surface uniformly.